Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sutter's Fort

Last Wednesday my former 2nd graders - now 4th graders in Mrs. Skelly's class went to their annual Sutter's Fort field trip. Her class used to spend the entire day and night there when I was her student teacher, but no longer. Now the kids spend the morning, dressed in period clothing, each representing a real life pioneer (including each member of the Donner family), and learning all about the ins and outs of the arrival of the pioneers. They research their characters for weeks, learn real pioneer songs, and enter the fort in real life horse drawn covered wagons. It truly is an amazing experience for the children. When I was a student teacher with Mrs. Skelly, the parents volunteered and cooked in the actual fort kitchen, Patrick churned real butter (took about 5 hours!) and then folk singers came to the fort after dinner for singing and square dancing. The students now experience the rest of the food and dancing back at the school (which was announced Thursday will be officially closed down due to budget cuts next year - really breaks my heart, it is such a happy place for me, not to mention the community).

This year I surprised the kids and met them with Jack as they arrived to the fort singing thier pioneer songs! They were so excited to see us! Both Jack and I dressed in late 1800 garb - Jack loved EVERY moment!


The 4th graders - including jack as their "mascot" down in front!


When I got home I was bummed that I was behind the camera the whole time and never got a picture of myself dressed up or one with Jack and me. When I was downloading the pictures I found this picture! I think it must have been one of the moms trying out the camera! The good news is - you can see my costume too! ( I suppose the glasses were out of character).

5 comments:

boo and stacy said...

Good sport G! You look so darling in your period clothing! How cute that they put Jack in the pic! I bet the kids loved seeing y'all there!!

HBorrelli said...

Jack looked adorable! Skelly told me he fit perfectly and he did! Yeah, the Top Gun shades don't follow the dress rules of the fort, bad girl.... :)

FoxE said...

So cute foo...love the aviators! Jackie P is precious.

Pam said...

Wow that is the neatest learning experience I've ever heard of. I love this post. You and Jack look adorable.

Shelly said...

These are awesome pics! I can't believe the entire class gets dressed up. That sounds like a logistical nightmare, but it worked! What fun memories for them (and you)!!