Monday, April 14, 2008

PLAY BALL!

Yesterday we were invited by the Holmes family to attend a River Cats game - the local triple A baseball team here in Sacramento. When we got there we discovered how truly HOT the day was going to be - we think it reached around 96 degrees. Not a fun temperature for NO NAP JACK! When we arrived we got Jack a balloon which intrigued him. Then the real fun began! As we were getting into our seats at third base all of the sudden Patrick (not me) heard "Heads!" P immediately shielded Jack's head with his body. I, still oblivious as to what is going on, trying to organize our belongings and sit down, instantly felt a BAM right smack in the middle of my shoulder blades!!! It took me a second to figure out that I was just hit by a line drive right in the middle of my back. What was so eerie was the crowd was so quiet. I then hear P say "get the ball . . . get the ball . . . GET THE BALLLL!!!!" I look down - see the the dented ball that LUCKILY bounced off a seat BEFORE it slammed into me (dented from the seat - that is how fast it was going) picked it up, raised it above my head and THE CROWD WENT WILD!!! So of course I began to DANCE! I thought to myself "Although my back is pulsating - the show must go on! Give them what they want!" I did not catch myself on the jumbo-tron, perhaps I was not even on it. P was THRILLED - His baby boy had his FIRST ball at his FIRST game! On the other hand he was pondered at the fact that he had been to MANY games in his life - a large amount of them with his dad, bringing his own mitt, wanting to catch a foul ball and NEVER had! This was maybe my 6th or 7th baseball game in my life and my SECOND ball! The first one I caught in my lap at a Dodgers/Giants no-hitter my sophmore year in high school. P said I was his good-luck charm!


Dinger the mascot - J was fascinated!

Jack will appreciate his Dad's enthusiasm in theis picture when he is older!

As I snapped this shot - Jack put the ball right into his mouth - I about died - THE FILTH - but then I thought - hey - who cares, it's his first real baseball - it is what is IS!

Sweaty head Jack was done after all that heat and ball catching!

8 comments:

Nicole Svendsen said...

that is priceless...the way you tell the story--and the show must go on even though your back was pulsating is just hilarious!!!

Sarah said...

The recounting of the story is HYSTERICAL!! Glad your husband wasn't too worried about your injury but the balllllll.... HA!

Unknown said...

Nice work, G! :)

Jeff said...

Great Catch! And don't worry about the filth, for some reason it's acceptable to put a baseball in your mouth. Here is some history about what is on the ball.

http://baseballrubbingmud.com/main.htm

stacy arnold said...

I CAN'T stop laughing.......

Pam said...

The Woods Family just flat out have the stories. Start a book or print out the blog. This story is about the best I've heard. Great going Gina.
Love how you had the fans going wild. Great story.

Tootle Family said...

Nice work Gina. Way to make a son proud!

Shelly said...

What a fun day! How were your shoulders the next day? Any bruises? Also, you should buy some lottery tickets soon :-)